View the Table of contents.
View a sample chapter of this book.
Edited by Lois Snyder
This title is also available as an
Ethical Choices is a concise guide to clinical action. Each of its case studies on clinical ethics, research ethics, and professionalism issues, all developed by the Ethics and Human Rights Committee of the American College of Physicians, presents an ethical dilemma relevant to daily practice, considers the possible responses of the physician and the motivations behind them, and elucidates the ethical course of action in this difficult situation. Patients and physicians alike will welcome this expanded edition of a now standard work.
- 188 pp., 2005, softcover
- Product #330300540
- ISBN 10: 1-930513-57-7
- ISBN 13: 978-1-930513-57-0
Order By Phone Option
You can also call ACP Customer Service to order at 800-523-1546, extension 2600 or 215-351-2600 (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET).
Table of Contents
Foreword to the First Edition
Introduction to Medical Ethics
Part I: The Patient and the Physician: The Clinical Encounter
- 1. Deciding How Much Care is Too Much
- 2. Should Doctors Treat Their Relatives
- 3. When Patients Want Alternative Therapies
- 4. The Ethical Dilemma of Genetic Testing
- 5. Talking About Organ Procurement When A Patient Dies
- 6. Physician-Assisted Suicide
- 7. Physician-Assisted Suicide Revisited: Comfort and Care at the End of Life
- 8. Ethics and Elder Neglect
Part II: The Patient and the Physician: Non-Clinical Dimensions of the Relationship
- 9. Direct-to-Consumer Advertisements: How Should You Handle the Pressure
- 10. Documenting Sensitive Information: A Dilemma for Physicians
- 11. The Older Impaired Driver
- 12. Referrals and Patient Wishes
- 13. Patient Prejudice
- 14. Do You Need to Tell Patients About Mistakes?
- 15. Disclosure of Errors and the Threat of Malpractice
- 16. Sex and the Single Physician
Part III: Medicine's Collective Obligations
- 17. Nursing Home "Dumps": Should You Go Along or Speak Up?
- 18. Industry-Sponsored Trials and Community Doctors
- 19. Checking Up on Immigrants: A Job for Physicians?
- 20. Should Doctors Participate in Executions?
- 21. Ethics and Medicaid Patients
- 22. The Duty to Treat HIV-Positive Patients
- 23. The Impaired Colleague
- 24. When Residents and Attendings Disagree
- 25. Medical Residents, Attendings, and Mistakes
Part IV: The Business of Medicine: Effects on the Patient-Physician Relationship
- 26. Are Health Plan Incentives Hurting Generalist-Specialist Relationships?
- 27. Financial Incentives and Physician Decision-Making
- 28. Pharmaceutical Industry Support of Continuing Medical Education