Now Available in Softcover!
Edited by Michael A. LaCombe, MD, FACP
View the Table of Contents.
View a sample chapter of this book.
This title is also available as an e-book.
The sorrows, the frustrations, the difficulties, and the magic of medicine are all captured on the pages of On Being a Doctor 2: Voices of Physicians and Patients. This softcover book is a compilation of some of the best essays, stories, and poems to appear in the "On Being a Doctor," "On Being a Patient," and "Ad Libitum" sections of Annals of Internal Medicine. With its well-crafted poetry and lucid prose, this generous collection contains something for all those involved in the science and art of healing.
- "A wonderfully rich collection . . . required reading for all physicians, from first-year medical students to retired professors.
- --Journal of the American Medical Association, review of On Being a Doctor 2
- 363 pages, 2000, softcover
- Product #330301290
- ISBN 10: 0-943126-82-7
- ISBN 13: 978-0-943126-82-1
Order By Phone Option
You can also call ACP Customer Service to order at 800-523-1546, extension 2600 or 215-351-2600 (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET).
Table of Contents
Section I: On Being A Doctor
Introduction—Michael A. LaCombe
- Curiosity—Faith T. Fitzgerald
- Awakening—Blair P. Grubb
- The Season's End—Samual C. Durso
- The Gram Stain—Arthur M. Fournier
- Caring for Strangers—Michael A. LaCombe
- Reimbursement Over the Atlantic—A. Andrew Casano
- Then There Were None—Thomas C. Coniglione and J. Arden Blough
- At Ease—Ronald H. Lands
- Wanted: 21st Century Physician—Faith T. Fitzgerald
- It Should Once Again See Light—Blair P. Grubb
- There But For Fortune—Karen E. Victor
- The Prison Patient—Matthew D.S. Klein
- From an Observer—Bonnie B. Smith
- Doctors' Daughter—Julia E. McMurray
- The Escape—Mani Rajagopalan
- Chained Smoker—David S. Shimm
- The Coding Audit—Joan Sumkin
- Heartsick—Julia E. McMurray
- Annual Meeting: Perspectives—Keith Wrenn
- Chronic Active Adolescence—Christopher M. Callahan
- The Making of a Public Health Physician—Kathleen F. Gensheimer
- Communion—Richard B.Weinberg
- Trying To Let Go—David J. Costigan
- Seeking Forgiveness—Michael A. LaCombe
- On Being Dr. Mom—Christine Laine
- The Magic White Coat—Richard C. Druss
- Death in Springtime—Lawrence Smith
- Brignole—Anne P. Rogal
- Of Locker Rooms and Labor Pains—Eliza Z. Shin
- The Privilege and the Pain—Linda Emanuel
- Diagnosing at the Mall—James M. Cerletty
- Marrying Medicine—H.J. Van Peenen
- Outpatient Clinic—Mitchell J. Schwaber
- Balancing Family and Career: Advice from the Trenches—Molly Carnes
- Doctor's Orders—Maria F. Rodowski
- The Longest House Call—Arthur M. Fournier
- Rise and Fall—Nicholas H. Fiebach
- Atonement—Ora Paltiel
- On Retirement—Robert H. Moser
- The Knight of Faith—Matthew D.S. Klein
Section II: On Being A Patient